Monday, August 11, 2008

Where was the pot of gold??


In this case, multiple pots of gold.

For those of you in Philly - I'm sure you noticed the very strange yellow sky that enveloped the city and surrounding areas after that crazy scary thunderstorm on Sunday evening?

For about 20 minutes, the mood seemed quite eerie. I saw my cat staring intently out of the window at something and when I went to see what he was looking at, I saw the most beautiful rainbow I'd ever seen.

This picture above is right over the corporate GSK building in center city.

Actually, apparently there were two rainbows right next to eachother, but I was only able to see one. It was massive, and I could see almost the entire arch. (Hence..potentially 4 mythical pots of gold, somewhere!).

From my vantage point, the rainbow seemed like it was directly over the Ben Franklin Bridge (directly east of my condo building).
I grabbed my digital and ran downstairs to the parking lot to see if I could take a picture of it, but it was tough to get anything substantial, given its massive size (and my tiny lens..), and the yellow hue of the sky.

I got into my car and headed west toward the Art Museum, thinking if I got further away, I'd be able to get a better shot.
Sadly within about 10 minutes, the sky turned black again, and just like that, it dissappeared.

Oh well, at least I was able to see it with my own eyes.

But, I searched on the web to see if any other Philadelphians had been lucky enough to capture anything. Here's what I found.....

Over the Philly Inquirer Building


This one highlights the yellow sky. This phot seemed to be a bit more saturated in color than in reality. But, the yellow hue was definitely there. You get the idea.


This one was taken from Spruce Street. Same yellow hue!


You can see almost the entire rainbow in this one.


Beautiful perfect rainbow. How often do you get to see one of these? I considered it lucky :-)
Definitely a strange, yet cool ending to a laid back weekend for me.

No comments: